noun[mass noun] chiefly North American
- A dish of German origin consisting of beef that is marinaded in vinegar with peppercorns, onions, and other seasonings before cooking: specialities include schnitzel and sauerbraten [count noun]: a change from heavy sauerbratens, these veal balls are light [as modifier]: sauerbraten sandwichesMore example sentences
- The traditional German restaurant, serving schnitzel, bratwurst, knackwurst, sauerbraten, and large quantities of beer, is rapidly disappearing in Germany.
- Cinnamon and allspice chime in a thin, sweet-sour broth that has something in common with sauerbraten or the darker moles.
- It needs time to marinate, like ceviche or kimchee or sauerbraten.
from German, from sauer 'sour' + Braten 'roast meat'.
More definitions of sauerbratenDefinition of sauerbraten in:
- The US English dictionary