- A German dish of chopped pickled cabbage.More example sentences
- Choucroute, a statement of Alsatian identity on a plate, is a sturdy dish of sauerkraut laden with cured and boiled meats: smoked sausage, ham knuckles, belly pork.
- He liked sausages, sauerkraut, tongue, pickles, cucumber salad, and goose liver, which became, on festive occasions, an almost holy object that only Karel could slice and distribute to his congregation of gourmets.
- Alsace is also, incidentally, the home of choucroute garnie, a traditional dish of sauerkraut and various forms of pork.
from German, from sauer 'sour' + Kraut 'vegetable'.
More definitions of sauerkrautDefinition of sauerkraut in:
- The US English dictionary