Definition of saurischian in English:
Relating to or denoting dinosaurs of an order distinguished by having a pelvic structure resembling that of lizards. Compare with ornithischian.
- The theropod (meaning ‘beast-footed’) dinosaurs are a diverse group of bipedal saurischian dinosaurs.
- The Ornithischia - unlike saurischian dinosaurs, reptiles and birds - possessed mammal-like cheek muscles and cheek pouches to aid in chewing.
- The saurischian dinosaurs include both carnivores, the theropods, and herbivores, the sauropods.
nounBack to top
A saurischian dinosaur.
- Order Saurischia, superorder Dinosauria; comprises the carnivorous theropods and the herbivorous sauropods
- Ornithodirans, saurischians, and sauropods are all characterized by having longer necks than their immediate outgroups.
- The pneumatic vertebrae of sauropods and other saurischians are very similar to those of birds and have been considered evidence for the early evolution of the avian respiratory system.
- Fossils from this site include both early ornithischians, such as Pisanosaurus, and putative early saurischians, the two major lineages of dinosaurs.
Definition of saurischian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan