Definition of saurischian in English:
Relating to or denoting dinosaurs of an order distinguished by having a pelvic structure resembling that of lizards. Compare with ornithischian.
- The theropod (meaning ‘beast-footed’) dinosaurs are a diverse group of bipedal saurischian dinosaurs.
- The Ornithischia - unlike saurischian dinosaurs, reptiles and birds - possessed mammal-like cheek muscles and cheek pouches to aid in chewing.
- The saurischian dinosaurs include both carnivores, the theropods, and herbivores, the sauropods.
nounBack to top
A saurischian dinosaur.
- Order Saurischia, superorder Dinosauria; comprises the carnivorous theropods and the herbivorous sauropods
- Ornithodirans, saurischians, and sauropods are all characterized by having longer necks than their immediate outgroups.
- The pneumatic vertebrae of sauropods and other saurischians are very similar to those of birds and have been considered evidence for the early evolution of the avian respiratory system.
- Fossils from this site include both early ornithischians, such as Pisanosaurus, and putative early saurischians, the two major lineages of dinosaurs.
Late 19th century: from the modern Latin plural Saurischia (from Greek sauros 'lizard' + iskhion 'hip joint') + -an.
Definition of saurischian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.