Definition of saviour in English:
1A person who saves someone or something from danger or difficulty: politicians of the era usually portray themselves as the nation’s saviours
More example sentences
- Positioned as the saviors of the nation, foreigners slide all too easily into becoming its scapegoats.
- So he let the crisis spin out in order to present himself, as in 1940, the saviour of the nation.
- After all if what I was hearing from my fellow St Lucian was true then a savior or saviors were needed to effect a rescue.
1.1 (the/our Saviour) (In Christianity) God or Jesus Christ as the redeemer of sin and saver of souls.
- At Christmas we Christians celebrate the birth of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, whom Herod tried to kill as an infant.
- At that moment, I broke down and realized Jesus Christ is the Savior of all mankind.
- When the pastor asked if anyone would like to come forward and receive Christ as their Savior or just to rededicate their lives to Him, Adam went forward.