- An aromatic plant of the mint family, used as a culinary herb.
More example sentences
- Genus Satureja, family Labiatae: several species, in particular the annual summer savory (S. hortensis), which is traditionally used with beans, and the coarser flavoured perennial winter savory (S. montana)
- Harvest culinary and medicinal herbs like lemon balm, mint, French tarragon, summer savory and basil before they go to seed.
- Together with dill, sorrel and summer savory, parsley was one of the herbs grown in every garden.
- Certain herbs will also grow well in cooler temperatures including cilantro, winter thyme, winter savory & sage.
Middle English: perhaps from Old English sætherie, or via Old French, from Latin satureia.