- 1A sawhorse.More example sentences
- I've been meaning to make a sawbuck for over a year.
- 2 • informal A $10 note.[by association of the X-shaped ends of a sawhorse with the Roman numeral X (= 10)]More example sentences
- She's a 9-year-old fashion junkie, and, on this particular Saturday, like most, she's been set loose in the mall with a sawbuck in her hot little hand.
- She started out with ten dollars and after roughly 2 1/2 hours of playing time and lots of winning she had turned that sawbuck into $12,000.
- I don't have an escrow account for taxes because my taxes are ruinously expensive, and I'd prefer to park the money someplace where it can produce a small brood of sawbucks.
mid 19th century: from Dutch zaagbok, from zaag 'saw' + bok 'vaulting horse'.
More definitions of sawbuckDefinition of sawbuck in:
- The US English dictionary