1A person who saws timber for a living.
- Opponents believe it's all a spin to provide more even-aged timber for the sawyers.
- He eventually secured a job as a sawyer with an Edinburgh timber merchant, which gave him the means to support a wife and three small children.
- Not only were numerous loggers, sawyers, and other timber industry employees injured (with a few being killed), but tens of thousands were put out of jobs.
3A large longhorn beetle whose larvae bore tunnels in the wood of injured or recently felled trees, producing an audible chewing sound.
- Genus Monochamus, family Cerambycidae.
- The pine sawyers are wood borers and emerge throughout the summer months as adults carrying the nematode from infested or non-infested pine trees.
- The pinewood nematode is transmitted from pine to pine by an insect vector, the pine sawyer.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: saw¦yer
Definition of sawyer in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.