- A low-growing plant of poor soils, bearing small white, yellow, or red flowers and forming rosettes of succulent leaves or hummocks of mossy leaves. Many are grown as alpines in rockeries.
More example sentences
- Genus Saxifraga, family Saxifragaceae
- In the top of the wall, to soften the lines, Douglas has planted tough, low-growing alpines such as sedums, saxifrages and alpine pinks Dianthus alpinus.
- As for rock plants themselves, there are thousands of perennials and small shrubs to choose from, including a host of dianthus, saxifrages, sedums, and sempervivums.
- Alpine forget-me-nots, snow gentian, moss campion and an abundance of saxifrages grow here on the steep slopes.
late Middle English: from Old French saxifrage or late Latin saxifraga (herba), from Latin saxum 'rock' + frangere 'break'.
More definitions of saxifrageDefinition of saxifrage in:
- The US English dictionary