noun (plural scalae media /ˌskeɪliː, ˌskeɪlʌɪ/)Anatomy
- The central duct of the cochlea in the inner ear, containing the sensory cells and separated from the scala tympani and scala vestibuli by membranes.More example sentences
- Inside the lagena, another membrane runs the length of the scala media.
- This ensured that the ionic environment of the scala media was not disturbed by influx of tissue culture medium.
- However, unlike the present study, measurements in that study were performed with ruptures in Reissner's membrane, which may have produced alterations in the ionic environment in scala media.
late 19th century: from Latin, literally 'middle ladder'.
More definitions of scala mediaDefinition of scala media in:
- The US English dictionary