nounchiefly North American
- A long-necked onion with a small bulb, in particular a shallot or spring onion.More example sentences
- Unlike their larger bulb cousins, green onions, scallions and leeks should be refrigerated.
- Add the onion, shallot, scallions, fennel, ginger, and garlic and gently sauté until tender, making sure not to brown.
- Cucumbers go well with buttermilk, dill, mint, salmon, tarragon, scallions, onions, tomatoes, sour cream and yogurt.
late Middle English: from Anglo-Norman French scaloun, based on Latin Ascalonia (caepa) '(onion) of Ascalon', a port in ancient Palestine.
More definitions of scallionDefinition of scallion in:
- The US English dictionary