- A high-resolution microscope using neither light nor an electron beam, but with an ultra-fine tip able to reveal atomic and molecular details of surfaces.More example sentences
- In rapid succession the field ion microscope and the scanning tunnelling microscope soon joined these microscopes.
- In a scanning tunnelling microscope, a sharp metallic tip is brought within a nanometre or two of the surface of the sample.
- Researchers have long been able to pick up and drop individual atoms using the tips of scanning tunnelling microscopes.
More definitions of scanning tunnelling microscopeDefinition of scanning tunnelling microscope in:
- The US English dictionary