- (also scent marking) An odorous substance containing a pheromone that is deposited by a mammal from a scent gland or in the urine or faeces, typically on prominent objects in an area: the tiger was spraying trees and bushes with its scent mark dogs stop and leave their scent markingsMore example sentences
- By rubbing a glandular area against a surface such as a tree trunk, a branch, or even another lemur, the animal deposits a scent mark.
- When a bumblebee finds a nectar-rich flower, it tags the blossom with a scent mark, identifying the flower as being worth a return visit.
- In the jungle, where space is fiercely guarded, lions and other predators chalk out their territory using scent marking.
verbBack to top
- (scent-mark) [no object] (Of a mammal) deposit a scent mark: ring-tailed lemurs scent-mark with secretions of the forearm glands (as noun scent-marking) most scent-marking was performed on branches and lianasMore example sentences
- Some researchers have suggested that kestrels may track voles by homing in on trails that the little rodents have scent-marked with urine.
- High-quality males usually scent-mark at high frequency, constructing a dense and often complex system of marks within their territory or area of dominance.
- The work of Viitala et al. indicated that kestrels utilize UV-visible vole scent-marks to locate areas rich in rodents.
More definitions of scent markDefinition of scent mark in:
- The US English dictionary