- The official name given in India to the lowest caste, considered ‘untouchable’ in orthodox Hindu scriptures and practice, officially regarded as socially disadvantaged.More example sentences
- Scheduled tribes and scheduled castes were more likely to consume tobacco than other caste groups.
- A study of health care among scheduled castes showed that 38% sought private medical help when their children became ill, compared with 28% for government health facilities.
- A higher proportion of intervention children came from the scheduled caste or tribes.
More definitions of scheduled casteDefinition of scheduled caste in:
- The US English dictionary