- A fluorescent mineral, white when pure, which consists of calcium tungstate and is an important ore of tungsten.More example sentences
- At least ten tungsten minerals are reported, but ‘wolframite’ and scheelite are the only two with significant economic distribution and concentration.
- World War II brought a tungsten boom, and the bright fluorescence of scheelite made it an obvious target for night prospecting.
- The common occurrence of scheelite rather than ferberite is believed to reflect lithologic differences in host rocks.
mid 19th century: from the name of Carl W. Scheele (1742–86), Swedish chemist, + -ite1.
More definitions of scheeliteDefinition of scheelite in:
- The US English dictionary