noun (plural scherzos or scherzi /-tsi/)Music
- A vigorous, light, or playful composition, typically comprising a movement in a symphony or sonata.More example sentences
- Often, at pedagogy conferences, we witness prodigiously talented fourteen-year-olds taking a master lesson in huge pieces like Prokofiev sonatas or Chopin scherzos.
- The symphony takes the idea through a more classically-oriented structure: an opening allegro, a slow movement, a scherzo, and a dead-march finale.
- Allusion to the trio, as in some of Beethoven's symphonic scherzos, briefly turns up in the coda.
Italian, literally 'jest'.
More definitions of scherzoDefinition of scherzo in:
- The US English dictionary