- A small black tailless dog of a breed with a ruff of fur round its neck.More example sentences
- First prize in the popular Sunday afternoon contests went to the collar with the lock that presented, yet preserved, the glistening protrusion of black neck hair on the schipperke's early ancestors.
- It was Popeye (passenger seat, left), one of our schipperkes.
- I have 3 schipperkes, but if I had the space would go empty out the local SPCA and give every dog a super home.
late 19th century: from Dutch dialect, literally 'little boatman', with reference to its use as a watchdog on barges.
More definitions of schipperkeDefinition of schipperke in:
- The US English dictionary