- 1.1 Geology Irregular streaks or masses in igneous rock that differ from the surrounding rock in texture or composition.More example sentences
- Rare mafic enclaves, which include both xenoliths of country rock and magma pods more mafic than the host monzogranite, as well as schlieren, are parallel to this compositional banding.
- These migmatites may be divided into three facies on the basis of their mesoscopic structures: schlieren, nebulitic and transitional.
- The age pattern of cordierite leucogranites is neatly bimodal, with a population centred exactly on the same value as the schlieren and nebulitic mesocratic migmatites.
late 19th century: from German Schlieren, plural of Schliere 'streak'.
More definitions of schlierenDefinition of schlieren in:
- The US English dictionary