noun[mass noun] North American informal
Cheap or inferior goods or material; trash: mass-produced schlock televisual schlock
More example sentences
- Yet even with all this going for it, the film only proves that well-done schlock is still schlock.
- The dull picture here befits the cheap production values of this schlock.
- So you can't really go in there and say, ‘Here, I'm going to make some real schlock.’
schlocky adjective (schlockier, schlockiest)
- Example sentences
- But laid out on the floor of the tank room, being regularly doused with water to keep it from drying out, the squid looks less like an exciting scientific specimen and more like a gruesome puppet made for a schlocky horror film.
- Some films are so unashamedly schlocky, it's almost as if they go right past ‘bad’ and come all the way round to ‘outstanding’ again.
- I, personally, am distracted by schlocky music.
Early 20th century: apparently from Yiddish shlak 'an apoplectic stroke', shlog 'wretch, untidy person, apoplectic stroke'.
Words that rhyme with schlockad hoc, amok, Bangkok, baroque, belle époque, bloc, block, bock, brock, chock, chock-a-block, clock, doc, dock, floc, flock, frock, hock, hough, interlock, jock, knock, langue d'oc, lock, Locke, Médoc, mock, nock, o'clock, pock, post hoc, roc, rock, shock, smock, sock, Spock, stock, wok, yapok
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: schlock
Definition of schlock in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.