nounNorth American • informal
- A slow, slovenly, or inept person: when he wakes up, the poor schlump finds himself in a gleaming modern Shangri-LaMore example sentences
- The cartoon shows some helicopters, tanks and paratroopers converging on a suburban house; a typical schlump who looks like the sort of New York exurbanite not quite witty or lustful enough to get into a Cheever tale stands in the door.
- No matter what you do you still look like a schlump.
- Not long ago he was just another loveless schlump on Broadway earning bad reviews.
1940s: apparently related to Yiddish shlumperdik 'dowdy' and German Schlumpe 'slattern'.
More definitions of schlumpDefinition of schlump in:
- The US English dictionary