noun[mass noun] • informal
- Excessive sentimentality, especially in music or films: at the end of the film the audience are drowned in a sea of schmaltz romantic schmaltzMore example sentences
- And that's just sentimental schmaltz and keeps sort of slowing down the movie, when you want to see this crisp, involving action story.
- The two lead actors acquit themselves admirably in their roles, rescuing the film from descending into schmaltz.
- But even when these songs have heart-rending subject matter, there's usually something uplifting near the surface, delivered without schmaltz or gushing sentimentality.
1930s: from Yiddish shmaltz, from German Schmalz 'dripping, lard'.
More definitions of schmaltzDefinition of schmaltz in:
- The US English dictionary