(also schmeer, shmeer, or shmear) North American informal
Definition of schmear in English:
2A smear or spread: a schmear of low-fat cream cheese
More example sentences
- With a barrage of self-deprecating Jewish humor, it gets off to a fast and funny start, but unfortunately, like just a few schmeers of cream cheese for a basketful of bagels, it's all spread pretty thin by the end.
- Finally, grab a copy, a bagel, a shmear.
- The speculations have ranged from Joan Baez in particular to his audience in general, with more than a shmear of misogyny in the former case, misanthropy in the latter.
verb[with object] Back to top
1960s: from Yiddish shmirn 'flatter, grease'.
the whole schmear
- Everything possible or available; every aspect of the situation: I’m going for the whole schmearMore example sentences
- I can't help feeling that this also brings the things that appall me - the anger, the punitiveness, the blood and suffering and the whole shmeer.
- Oh, can I have a half a dozen of those and hook my friend up here with the whole shmear - you know, clubs, bats, shoes, glove, shirts, pants.
- Credit the still-tight bandly playing for keeping the whole shmear from turning into a solipsistic acoustic mess.
Definition of schmear in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan