(also schmeer, shmeer, or shmear) North American informal
2A smear or spread: a schmear of low-fat cream cheese
More example sentences
- With a barrage of self-deprecating Jewish humor, it gets off to a fast and funny start, but unfortunately, like just a few schmeers of cream cheese for a basketful of bagels, it's all spread pretty thin by the end.
- Finally, grab a copy, a bagel, a shmear.
- The speculations have ranged from Joan Baez in particular to his audience in general, with more than a shmear of misogyny in the former case, misanthropy in the latter.
the whole schmear
- North American informal Everything possible or available; every aspect of the situation: I’m going for the whole schmearMore example sentences
- I can't help feeling that this also brings the things that appall me - the anger, the punitiveness, the blood and suffering and the whole shmeer.
- Oh, can I have a half a dozen of those and hook my friend up here with the whole shmear - you know, clubs, bats, shoes, glove, shirts, pants.
- Credit the still-tight bandly playing for keeping the whole shmear from turning into a solipsistic acoustic mess.
1960s: from Yiddish shmirn 'flatter, grease'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: schmear
Definition of schmear in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.