Definition of scholar in English:
1A specialist in a particular branch of study, especially the humanities: a Hebrew scholar a phrase borrowed from the Indian scholar Ananda Coomaraswamy
More example sentences
- It required a cadre of scholars specialized in, and devoted to, the study of organizations.
- These scholars first write brief position papers, which are read by the group.
- This much has been known about Portus for generations as scholars have both read what ancient authors wrote about the harbour and explored the surviving remains.
1.3 archaic A student or pupil.
- At 14 he returned to being a full-time scholar at Dunbar High School, where he excelled at mathematics, and then at 16 he went back to the millwright's trade.
- In Lacedaemon, pedagogues chastised their scholars by biting their thumb.
- She drew attention to the centre's complementary courses aimed at preparing scholars for university entrance.