Definition of schoolmarm in English:
nounchiefly North American
A schoolmistress (typically used with reference to a woman regarded as prim, strict, and brisk in manner): I gave an exasperated schoolmarm’s laugh [as modifier]: a schoolmarm hairstyle
More example sentences
- Many black teachers were themselves once students of the typical Yankee schoolmarms.
- The schoolmarm changes her profession and becomes an outlaw, called Kissin’ Kate Barlow.
- So did my New England Yankee public schoolmarms, but they and their policies have passed out of the culture and even the law.
- Example sentences
- To some people, I suspect, she came to embody the negative image of the copy editor: punctilious, schoolmarmish and blue-stockinged.
- But despite the pertinence and importance of Dawn's critique, her schoolmarmish, finger-wagging tone may put people off.
- The vice president, alas, will no doubt sound just as schoolmarmish when getting in his licks as when he's disgorging numbers.
Words that rhyme with schoolmarmwind farm • Islam
Definition of schoolmarm in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan