Definition of schoolmarm in English:
nounchiefly North American
A schoolmistress (typically used with reference to a woman regarded as prim, strict, and brisk in manner): I gave an exasperated schoolmarm’s laugh [as modifier]: a schoolmarm hairstyle
More example sentences
- Many black teachers were themselves once students of the typical Yankee schoolmarms.
- The schoolmarm changes her profession and becomes an outlaw, called Kissin’ Kate Barlow.
- So did my New England Yankee public schoolmarms, but they and their policies have passed out of the culture and even the law.
- Example sentences
- To some people, I suspect, she came to embody the negative image of the copy editor: punctilious, schoolmarmish and blue-stockinged.
- But despite the pertinence and importance of Dawn's critique, her schoolmarmish, finger-wagging tone may put people off.
- The vice president, alas, will no doubt sound just as schoolmarmish when getting in his licks as when he's disgorging numbers.
Words that rhyme with schoolmarmwind farm • Islam
Definition of schoolmarm in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.