Definition of sclerenchyma in English:
noun[mass noun] Botany
Strengthening tissue in a plant, formed from cells with thickened, typically lignified, walls.
- It had larger cells and more sclerenchyma and collenchyma (supporting tissue) in between the vascular bundle and epidermal cells.
- The exodermis and underlying layer of heavily lignified sclerenchyma of Oryza sativa is a constitutive feature.
- In Cayenne, development of a solid, lignified disk of sclerenchyma across the receptacle was positively associated with ease of separation in a comparison of an easy pick and a hard pick genotypes.
- Example sentences
- The structural reinforcement of the sclerenchymatous tegmen and lignified endotesta also appears to be responsible for the unrolling of the recurved margins during imbibition.
- The inner sheath, termed the sclerenchymatous bundle or mestome sheath, is colourless and contains thickened walls and extensive suberin lamella.
- A conspicuous anatomical feature associated with pepper fruit ripening was the development of a plate of sclerenchymatous tissue in the separation zone.
Definition of sclerenchyma in:
- US English dictionary