Definition of sclerophyll in English:
A woody plant with evergreen leaves that are tough and thick in order to reduce water loss.
- Evergreen sclerophylls and drought semi-deciduous shrubs that shed their leaves during dry periods are the dominant plants in this region.
- A higher mesophyll resistance in woody plants than in herbs, and in sclerophylls than in mesophytes, has been reported.
- Evergreen sclerophylls are regarded as one of the most typical components of the Mediterranean-type vegetation.
early 20th century: from Greek sklēros 'hard' + phullon 'leaf'.
- Example sentences
- It is a large, evergreen, sclerophyllous, leguminous tree of slow growth, great longevity and an extended flowering period.
- All experiments were conducted between June and July 2002 on 1-year-old leaves of P. laurocerasus (a broad-leaved sclerophyllous evergreen).
- The latter zone refers to the sclerophyllous vegetation designated as Macchia.
Definition of sclerophyll in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan