Definition of sclerosis in English:
1 Medicine Abnormal hardening of body tissue.
- In MS, myelin is lost in multiple areas, leaving scar tissue called sclerosis.
- The lymph node biopsy showed sclerosis surrounding cellular nodules that contained clusters of large atypical cells admixed with small lymphocytes and numerous eosinophils.
- It exhibited squamous differentiation, sclerosis, and eosinophilia.
1.1 (in full multiple sclerosis) A chronic, typically progressive disease involving damage to the sheaths of nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord, whose symptoms may include numbness, impairment of speech and of muscular coordination, blurred vision, and severe fatigue. Also called disseminated sclerosis.
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is a progressive disease affecting both upper and lower motor neurons.
- Other collagen diseases, such as progressive systemic sclerosis and systemic lupus erythematosus, are associated with increased incidence of pneumothorax.
- Among this latter group, there were four patients with rheumatoid arthritis, five with systemic sclerosis, three with systemic lupus erythematosus, five with dermatomyositis, and four with mixed connective tissue disease.
Words that rhyme with sclerosisapotheosis, chlorosis, cirrhosis, diagnosis, halitosis, hypnosis, kenosis, meiosis, metempsychosis, misdiagnosis, mononucleosis, myxomatosis, necrosis, neurosis, osmosis, osteoporosis, prognosis, psittacosis, psychosis, symbiosis, thrombosis, toxoplasmosis, trichinosis, tuberculosis
Definition of sclerosis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.