(Of an insect’s body, or part of one) hardened by conversion into sclerotin.
More example sentences
- The cephalothorax of spiders is a sclerotized body part that does not change after the final molt.
- The sclerotized spermatheca is flexible and has muscle attachments between the base of the body of the spermatheca and its apex.
- The larvae have a non-retracting head capsule, consisting of sclerotized chitin, which bears opposing mandibles, antennae, eyespots, and various other sensory structures.
- More example sentences
- Soldiers appear darker than do nonsoldier nymphs, owing to a higher degree of sclerotization, and have larger hind-legs then do nonsoldiers.
- They also display a unique phenotype characterized by excessive sclerotization of the anterior-most cuticle.
- Catecholamines are required for proper melanization and sclerotization of the Drosophila cuticle.
Definition of sclerotized in:
- The US English dictionary