- Pillar candles in wall sconces faintly illuminate the small dining room, which is dark by day and night.
- In the wide corridor, the candles guttered in the sconces on the wall.
- Black candles flickered in sconces on the walls and by the trencher.
- My house on Whidbey Island, Washington, is almost exclusively lighted by wall sconces.
- When they reached the spot beyond the visible candlelight from the entry, wall sconces lit as they reached them.
- It was dark, save for the sconces that lined the walls, but many of those had burned out, giving even further evidence that the wee hours of the morning were nigh.
Late Middle English (originally denoting a portable lantern with a screen to protect the flame): shortening of Old French esconse 'lantern', or from medieval Latin sconsa, from Latin absconsa (laterna) 'dark (lantern)' (i.e. a lantern with a device for concealing the light), from abscondere 'to hide'.
Words that rhyme with sconcebonce, ensconce, nonce, ponce, response
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.