1 (also motor scooter) A light two-wheeled open motor vehicle on which the driver sits over an enclosed engine with their legs together and their feet resting on a floorboard.
- I saw the women with their thick dark hair, so much like mine, riding scooters together around the piazzas.
- It was a still balmy night as I have remarked earlier and when the engine of the scooter ceased to growl, the void it left in its wake was immediately usurped by a gushing wave of silence and total noiselessness.
- Phone us today and get our expert, impartial advice on which scooter would best suit your needs.
1.1 [often with modifier] Any small, light, vehicle able to travel quickly across water, ice, or snow: a snow scooter
More example sentences
- The lake has several marinas where you can rent ski boats, water scooters, patio boats, and the like.
- It was a mixture between big motorboats, small sailing boats and on one pier eight water scooters were standing on a platform.
- Each man in the squad was dressed in a wetsuit and carried a pack of high explosives on their electric water scooter.
2A child’s toy consisting of a footboard mounted on two wheels and a long steering handle, propelled by resting one foot on the footboard and pushing the other against the ground.
- A sharp rise in injuries related to using foot propelled scooters is leading to an increased demand that children using them should wear mandatory protective gear.
- Motorless aluminum scooters with in-line skate wheels fall into another category, but aren't street-legal either.
- Others whizz into the garage on machines resembling scooters with two oversized wheels, one on either side of the standing platform.
Travel or ride on a scooter: (as noun scootering) scootering is the most economical and practical form of transportation
More example sentences
- It is designed to make scootering even more affordable this summer.
- The choice of activities included pogo sticking, orienteering, roller blading, eliminator, hockey, bouncy castle, crazy bands, scootering, Lacrosse, pitch & putt, soccer and basketball.
- I scootered for five years, and never got into an accident with another driver.
- Example sentences
- His ‘engineering skill’ made him realise that even if there were no air or bulb horn in the bus, revving up would make scooterists and car-drivers to race away from his path.
- At one such function recently, this correspondent saw boys of a locality in the old city moving around with sticks in their hands to frighten away scooterists and others.
- This follows complaints from car drivers and scooterists, who felt that the stretch is too narrow at some places with too many right and left turns.
Words that rhyme with scooteraccoutre (US accouter), commuter, computer, disputer, looter, neuter, pewter, polluter, recruiter, refuter, rooter, saluter, shooter, souter, suitor, tooter, transmuter, tutor, uprooter
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: scoot¦er
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.