- A military strategy of burning or destroying crops or other resources that might be of use to an invading enemy force.More example sentences
- He refused to implement his orders for a scorched earth policy as German forces retreated into the Reich, leaving much of Germany's new military industries to help with the post-war economic revival.
- Therefore, it becomes a prudent idea not to practice scorched earth policies when besieging an enemy city.
- As Peter withdrew, he used a scorched earth policy destroying anything that might be of value to an advancing army.
More definitions of scorched earth policyDefinition of scorched earth policy in:
- The US English dictionary