Definition of scoria in English:
noun (plural scoriae ˈskɔːrɪiː)[mass noun]
1Basaltic lava ejected as fragments from a volcano, typically with a frothy texture: chunks of black scoria [count noun]: the village lay half silted up under black scoriae and dust
More example sentences
- They cut steps in the frozen snow and made good progress along a ridge of ‘rugged scoriae’ which took them to the summit.
- Small vesicular pieces of volcanic material, scoria, collect around the vent to form a cinder cone.
- Alluvial, colluvial or chemically formed gravel, clayey gravel, sandstone, limestone, tuff, scoria are examples of marginal materials.
- Example sentences
- The fine-grained ash groundmass contains equal proportions of scoriaceous tachylite and palagonite with basaltic lithic fragments.
- On the western side of the mesa, black hornblende xenocrysts several centimeters in size are also found in a scoriaceous, agglomeratic portion of the lava flow.
- Amygdaloidal cavities are located immediately below the uppermost scoriaceous part of the second flow, near its contact with the overlying flow.
Definition of scoria in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.