- 1A terrestrial arachnid which has lobster-like pincers and a poisonous sting at the end of its jointed tail, which it can hold curved over its back. Most kinds live in tropical and subtropical areas.
More example sentences
- Order Scorpiones
- As the frog struggles against the current with the scorpion on his back, he suddenly feels the piercing sting of the scorpion's tail.
- Some of the more poisonous scorpions lived in the deserts of Egypt.
- A few yards away, a South African officer has found one of the small but highly poisonous scorpions which infest the area.
Middle English: via Old French from Latin scorpio(n-), based on Greek skorpios 'scorpion'.
More definitions of scorpionDefinition of scorpion in:
- The US English dictionary