noun (plural same or scorpionfishes)
- A chiefly bottom-dwelling marine fish which is typically red in colour and has spines on the head that are sometimes venomous.
More example sentences
- Family Scorpaenidae: many genera and numerous species, including the redfishes and rockfishes
- The rocky reefs and the small caverns formed within them are home to groupers, moray and conger eels, scorpionfish, many octopus and the occasional spiny lobster.
- Pterois volitans are differentiated from other scorpionfishes by having 13 rather than 12 poisonous dorsal spines and 14 long, feather-like pectoral rays.
- Scientists have observed a dolphin trying to get a reluctant moray eel to come out of its crevice by poking it with the spiny body of a dead scorpionfish.
More definitions of scorpionfishDefinition of scorpionfish in:
- The US English dictionary