noun (plural same or scoters)
A northern diving duck that winters off the coast, the male of which has mainly black plumage.
- Genus Melanitta, family Anatidae: three species
More example sentences
- Sea ducks like scoters and eiders are also divers.
- Below we report the geographic distribution of long-tailed ducks, eiders, scoters, glaucous gulls, and Pacific loons with respect to month and ice cover.
- The Red-Breasted Merganser is also a bold world traveler, plying icy waters where usually only scoters and eiders dare to tread.
late 17th century: perhaps an error for sooter (with reference to its black plumage).
Definition of scoter in:
- The US English dictionary