- A horsetail with a very rough ridged stem, formerly used for scouring and polishing.
More example sentences
- Genus Equisetum, family Equisetaceae, in particular E. hyemale
- Joining these are three scouring rushes (common scouring rush, variegated scouring rush, and water horsetail) and the common, or field, horsetail.
- Dwarf scouring rush is a miniature horsetail only 8 inches tall.
- Equisetum are known as horsetails, foxtails, or scouring rushes - this last name is derived from the fact that Equisetum stores granules of silica within its cells, making it an effective tool for scrubbing pots and polishing wood.
More definitions of scouring rushDefinition of scouring rush in:
- The US English dictionary