Definition of scrambler in English:
1A device for scrambling a broadcast transmission or telephone conversation.
- Furthermore, these devices should be additionally provided with scramblers to protect transmitted information.
- Telephone scramblers, then in their infancy, were available to staff at senior headquarters.
- Midian's TVS - 2 Series of scramblers utilize the frequency hopping type of rolling code encryption for higher security.
2A person who walks over steep, mountainous terrain as a pastime.
- These guys who were out there doing really serious ski descents were also world-class mountaineers, while I was just a hiker scrambler.
- Tidal conditions, unlawful activity by scramblers and even training sessions conducted by members of sporting clubs are contributing to the erosion at one section in particular.
- Carn Mor Dearg lies on the eastern arm of the horseshoe ridge that includes Ben Nevis and is a favourite with scramblers who climb ‘The Ben’.
2.1British A motorcycle for racing over rough and hilly ground.
- Miniature motorbikes are mainly being raced around estates, while scramblers and scooters are being ridden in areas such as the Seven Fields Nature Reserve.
- The burglars also took a child's motorbike scrambler, a khaki coloured container with 25 litres of red diesel and numerous bottles of gin, vodka and liqueurs.
- Health officials though pointed at the lack of exercise as the main cause of the problem, claiming the alarming usage of quads, mopeds and scramblers is directly proportional to the high level of porkers in these areas.
4 American Football A quarterback noted for scrambling.
- ‘The No.1 responsibility of a pro quarterback is to protect himself and make sure he can play,’ the former Redskins quarterback and scrambler said.
- Jaworski says McNabb diminishes the impact of his inaccuracy by being an elite scrambler and rarely making stupid throws, and that was true even during his struggles.
- The Patriots know he isn't a scrambler and won't worry about him taking off, so Manning must make them pay by running for at least three first downs.
Definition of scrambler in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia