Definition of screed in English:
1A long speech or piece of writing, typically one regarded as tedious: her criticism appeared in the form of screeds in a local film magazine
More example sentences
- There are other misimpressions created by your articles that necessitate a response, but I did not intend for this to become a screed against your writing.
- I have written a tedious screed on the event that is best ignored entirely.
- His writings varied from incoherent screeds to astute examinations of government hypocrisy.
2 [mass noun] A levelled layer of material (e.g. cement) applied to a floor or other surface.
- The lift was inoperable, the walls had been left with barely an undercoat on them and there was bare screed on the floors.
- While modest in its material composition - concrete, screed, plasterboard and glass - the building has been made with precision and consistency.
- It is not the moisture in the slab or screed which is important, but the quantity of moisture leaving the slab and generating the vapour pressure.
2.1 [count noun] A strip of plaster or other material placed on a surface as a guide to thickness.
- These screeds will guide the straightedge (called a rod) that is used to level the surface in Step 7.
- If you are building large slabs, could you survive without a laser screed or a power trowel?
- We have seen truss screeds used to span 50-foot wide sections, but that is pushing things near their limit - unless flatness isn't an issue.
verb[with object] Back to top
Level (a floor or layer of concrete) with a straight edge using a back and forth motion while moving across the surface.
- Once the floor is initially screeded, the first hand tool in the superflat process is the saw beam.
- A profile pan located on the back edge of the grout box is equipped with a tamper bar that oscillates vertically to push aggregate below the profile pan as the concrete is screeded.
- After placement, the panels are screeded with a straightedge or vibrating screed in preparation for finishing.
Words that rhyme with screedaccede, bead, Bede, bleed, breed, cede, concede, creed, deed, Eid, exceed, feed, Gide, God speed, greed, he'd, heed, impede, interbreed, intercede, Jamshid, knead, lead, mead, Mede, meed, misdeed, mislead, misread, need, plead, proceed, read, rede, reed, Reid, retrocede, secede, seed, she'd, speed, stampede, steed, succeed, supersede, Swede, tweed, weak-kneed, we'd, weed
Definition of screed in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan