1(Of a bolt or other device) having a helical ridge or thread running around the outside: any tappings that aren’t being used on the cylinder can be fitted with screwed blanks the litter included screwed bags and used tickets
More example sentences
- The blade near the handle is pinned, with the pin locked by a screwed collar.
- Usually on an aluminum frame, those are riveted on, not screwed.
- I yelled while dragging him out of the house and stuffing my screwed beanie into my pocket.
2 informal In a difficult or hopeless situation; ruined or broken.
- We got screwed last time with him negotiating.
- Not only are there few jobs out there, but even when you get hired or have a job, people keep getting screwed one way or another, on pay, hours, you name it.
- I've become interested in socialism because it seems to me under capitalism the worker gets screwed left and right.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: screwed
Definition of screwed in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.