1A provisional certificate of money subscribed to a bank or company, entitling the holder to a formal certificate and dividends.
- Once the merger was announced, the scrip registered a slight increase and was trading at 277.80, up by Rs 15, but overall banking scrips were still trading at a low.
- In the process, they end up subverting the insider trading norms by subtly inflating the value of the scrips they've either invested in, have underwritten or are otherwise interested in.
1.1 [mass noun] Scrip certificates collectively.
- The position differs where the security given by the debtor comprises marketable (viz. negotiable) securities, such as bearer bonds, share warrants, scrip, or exchequer bills.
- Out-of-date share certificates or scrip, as they are collectively called, are a booming brand of collectibles.
- Amateur investors seem to be always wary of pieces of paper, certificates and share scrip.
1.2 (also scrip issue or dividend) An issue of additional shares to shareholders in proportion to the shares already held.
- A scrip issue is not an issue of shares to raise more capital; it simply gives the shareholder more shares, e.g., 4 for 1.
- The survey registered only active transactions, excluding instances when the insider sold or acquired stock by participating in stock option and scrip dividend schemes.
- For a high-growth company, it said, a scrip dividend is more suitable.
2 (also land scrip) North American A certificate entitling the holder to acquire possession of certain portions of public land.
- The proceeds from the sale of land scrip would then be invested in a fund ‘to pay the endowment, support, and maintenance of at least one college’ in each state.
- During this period, he unsuccessfully tried to gain possession of the ranch by locating thirteen Confederate land <en>scrips on the ranch.
- During the New Zealand Land Wars of the 1860s land scrip was issued to soldiers in recognition of their service and to assist their rehabilitation.
Mid 18th century: abbreviation of subscription receipt.
Words that rhyme with scripblip, chip, clip, dip, drip, equip, flip, grip, gyp, hip, kip, lip, nip, outstrip, pip, quip, rip, ship, sip, skip, slip, snip, strip, tip, toodle-pip, trip, whip, yip, zip
A small bag or pouch, typically one carried by a pilgrim, shepherd, or beggar.
- Finally he sniffed and folded the remains of his meal into a square of cloth before stuffing it back into the leather scrip at his waist.
- A good shepherd, St. Bernard used to say, has always bread in his scrip, and his dog in his keeping.
- He then snatched the fallen warrior's arms and robes under which he had concealed a scrip full of gold fastened to his loins.
Middle English: probably a shortening of Old French escrepe 'purse'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan