Definition of scripture in English:
1 (also scriptures) The sacred writings of Christianity contained in the Bible: passages of scripture the fundamental teachings of the scriptures
More example sentences
- It is difficult to find a Father who does not quote the Apocrypha and treat it as Scripture.
- The terms ‘Trinity’ and ‘persons’ as related to the Godhead, while not found in the Scriptures, are words in harmony with Scripture.
- We read in Scripture that truth is an attribute of God (Jeremiah 10:10; John 1:14; 14:6; 17:3), and that God speaks truthfully - that is, He does not lie.
1.1The sacred writings of a religion other than Christianity.
- It is standard Islamic belief that all holy scriptures except the Qur'an have been altered from their original forms over time.
- Hindu scripture is overwhelmingly written in Sanskrit.
- The Pauranas are called Dharma Shastras, scriptures on Dharma, how to live a righteous life.
Middle English: from Latin scriptura 'writings', from script- 'written', from the verb scribere.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia