Definition of scripture in English:
- It is difficult to find a Father who does not quote the Apocrypha and treat it as Scripture.
- The terms ‘Trinity’ and ‘persons’ as related to the Godhead, while not found in the Scriptures, are words in harmony with Scripture.
- We read in Scripture that truth is an attribute of God (Jeremiah 10:10; John 1:14; 14:6; 17:3), and that God speaks truthfully - that is, He does not lie.
- It is standard Islamic belief that all holy scriptures except the Qur'an have been altered from their original forms over time.
- Hindu scripture is overwhelmingly written in Sanskrit.
- The Pauranas are called Dharma Shastras, scriptures on Dharma, how to live a righteous life.
Middle English: from Latin scriptura 'writings', from script- 'written', from the verb scribere.
Latin scribere ‘to write’ is the source of scripture, literally ‘writings’, of scribe (Middle English) and inscribe (Late Middle English); script (Late Middle English) ‘something written’ and scribble (Late Middle English) ‘little writing’.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.