A shrubby dwarf oak which forms thickets.
- Genus Quercus, family Fagaceae: several species, in particular Q. ilicifolia
More example sentences
- Perhaps the arid West Texas environment and the landscape dominated by low-growing mesquite, scrub oak and cactus explained the widespread local veneration of trees.
- Likewise, the chestnut-backed chickadees hide in the branches of the scrub oak awaiting an opportunity for a quick breakfast.
- Island oak, canyon oak, and scrub oak are common, along with Catalina cherry, elderberry, and summer holly (actually a member of the heath family).
Definition of scrub oak in:
- The US English dictionary