Definition of scrutineer in English:
1A person who examines or inspects something closely and thoroughly.
- Avid page two scrutineers will have seen a boxed notice in the personal announcements section.
- Until then the scheme is held up until the scrutineers are satisified about the proposals.
- Collusion between supposedly independent scrutineers of business practice and their employing clients can cover up malpractice and misuse of funds.
1.1chiefly British A person who supervises the conduct of an election or competition: independent strike-ballot scrutineers
More example sentences
- First, they flatly refused to carry out their legal duty to appoint independent scrutineers for new executive elections.
- The scrutineers must receive postal votes no later than 10 pm on Thursday June 10 and are recommending that people post their completed votes on June 8.
- The team, which was being monitored by independent scrutineers, needed safe hands because if the ball was dropped, it would mean the end of the attempt.
Words that rhyme with scrutineeradhere, Agadir, Anglosphere, appear, arrear, auctioneer, austere, balladeer, bandolier, Bashkir, beer, besmear, bier, blear, bombardier, brigadier, buccaneer, cameleer, career, cashier, cavalier, chandelier, charioteer, cheer, chevalier, chiffonier, clavier, clear, Coetzee, cohere, commandeer, conventioneer, Cordelier, corsetière, Crimea, dear, deer, diarrhoea (US diarrhea), domineer, Dorothea, drear, ear, electioneer, emir, endear, engineer, fear, fleer, Freer, fusilier, gadgeteer, Galatea, gazetteer, gear, gondolier, gonorrhoea (US gonorrhea), Greer, grenadier, hand-rear, hear, here, Hosea, idea, interfere, Izmir, jeer, Judaea, Kashmir, Keir, kir, Korea, Lear, leer, Maria, marketeer, Medea, Meir, Melilla, mere, Mia, Mir, mishear, mountaineer, muleteer, musketeer, mutineer, near, orienteer, pamphleteer, panacea, paneer, peer, persevere, pier, Pierre, pioneer, pistoleer, privateer, profiteer, puppeteer, racketeer, ratafia, rear, revere, rhea, rocketeer, Sapir, sear, seer, sere, severe, Shamir, shear, sheer, sincere, smear, sneer, sonneteer, souvenir, spear, sphere, steer, stere, summiteer, Tangier, tear, tier, Trier, Tyr, veer, veneer, Vere, Vermeer, vizier, volunteer, Wear, weir, we're, year, Zaïre
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan