- 1Each of a pair of small oars used by a single rower.More example sentences
- As well as traditional rowing oars and sculls, they manufacture oars for surf boat rowing, and transatlantic teams.
- 1.2A light, narrow boat propelled with a scull or a pair of sculls: their current training programme involves two outings a day at the weekend in their single scullsMore example sentences
- He has supported his wife, Sonia, in her successful quest to qualify a single sculls boat for the Athens Olympics.
- This year he trained the light scull world champion Victoria Dimitrova as well as Neikova.
- The two friends had gone for a light row and were turning the double scull boat opposite the boat slip at the Rowing Club when Kieran became suddenly ill.
- 1.3 (sculls) A race between boats in which each participant uses a pair of oars: he competed for the cross-country team and later concentrated on single scullsMore example sentences
- Anne Homa won women's S1 single sculls and Anna Mahlamaki won women's novice sculls in her first race in a sculling boat despite clipping the bank a few times.
- Nikree is concentrating on the double sculls to be raced tomorrow, and Yung did well despite nursing a sprained ankle which she sustained earlier this week.
- This meant that the junior men's and junior women's quadruple sculls, together with three final races in the Japan Cup, were not held.
verb[no object] Back to top
- 1Propel a boat with sculls: he built boats and taught the gentlemen how to scullMore example sentences
- World Cup single sculling champion Miroslava Knapkova was in complete control of her heat as she sculled in nearly half a minute up on the field including Dutch Challenge Cup winner Myke Mol.
- Greatly curious, the American fishermen lifted anchor and sculled over with oars.
- Dick Gradley sculled well to win men's veteran H handicapped sculls in 17-59.
- 1.2 [no object, with adverbial of direction] (Of an aquatic animal) propel itself with fins or flippers: the limbs were modified into efficient paddles, perfectly adapted for sculling through the waterMore example sentences
- A green turtle sculled towards us, stopping only a metre away.
Middle English: of unknown origin.