- A chiefly marine fish of the northern hemisphere, with a broad flattened head and spiny scales and fins.
More example sentences
- Cottidae and related families: many genera and numerous species, including the bullheads
- In addition to whitefish, bull trout will feed on sculpins, darters or other trout and where applicable, salmon fry.
- Many species eat the fry and smolts, including striped bass, American shad, sculpins and sea gulls.
- Two such methods include coiling the body around the eggs (pricklebacks and gunnels) and covering the eggs with algae (temperate sculpins and wrasses).
late 17th century: perhaps from obsolete scorpene, via Latin from Greek skorpaina, denoting a kind of fish.
More definitions of sculpinDefinition of sculpin in:
- The US English dictionary