Definition of sea dog in English:
1 informal An old or experienced sailor.
- Dickens called it ‘the saltiest, roughest, most piratical little place’, and a whiff of the sea dog still hangs around its working harbour, narrow backstreets and unfeasibly tall houses.
- Though well meaning, King was temperamental and sometimes ill, a martinet sea dog who did not easily translate to ruling a fractious young colony.
- The first step on my way to becoming the fearsome sea dog I am today was the recruitment of a particularly dastardly crew.
2 Heraldry A mythical beast like a dog with fins, webbed feet, and a scaly tail.
- Although this was originally blazoned as a sea-dog, a sea-dog is unusual in that it has four legs and the fish tail.
- Argent, a sea-dog rampant purpure breathing flames gules, a laurel wreath in canton purpure.
Definition of sea dog in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan