- 1 • informal An old or experienced sailor.More example sentences
- Dickens called it ‘the saltiest, roughest, most piratical little place’, and a whiff of the sea dog still hangs around its working harbour, narrow backstreets and unfeasibly tall houses.
- Though well meaning, King was temperamental and sometimes ill, a martinet sea dog who did not easily translate to ruling a fractious young colony.
- The first step on my way to becoming the fearsome sea dog I am today was the recruitment of a particularly dastardly crew.
- 2 Heraldry A mythical beast like a dog with fins, webbed feet, and a scaly tail.More example sentences
- Although this was originally blazoned as a sea-dog, a sea-dog is unusual in that it has four legs and the fish tail.
- Argent, a sea-dog rampant purpure breathing flames gules, a laurel wreath in canton purpure.
More definitions of sea dogDefinition of sea dog in:
- The US English dictionary