A venomous sea snake with a compressed tail, occurring in tropical coastal waters of the eastern Indian Ocean and western Pacific, coming ashore to bask and breed.
- Genus Laticauda, family Elapidae: two species
More example sentences
- However, in some areas, snakes such as the yellow-lipped sea krait, Laticauda colubrina, have been heavily exploited by the international leather industry.
- ‘The yellow-lipped sea krait is so tame and docile that the venomous animals can be collected by the handful,’ says the reptile ecologist, pictured on the left.
- Most sea snakes bear their young live in the water, but the banded sea krait lays eggs on land, either on the sand or just under it.
Definition of sea krait in:
- The US English dictionary