Any of a number of marine fishes which typically have a long-based dorsal fin and which are popular as sporting fish, in particular:
- ● A fish of the snapper family (Lutjanidae: several genera). ● A surfperch.
More example sentences
- Also known as the deep sea perch, the species was first targeted in the northeast Atlantic in 1991, with annual catches soon hitting 5,000 tons.
- Large schools of butterfly perch hovered, while sea perch (known locally as Jock Stewarts) glared at us as they sat motionless on the rocks.
- A close relation, Morone americanus, is much smaller, and is usually referred to as white perch or sea perch.
Definition of sea perch in:
- The US English dictionary