Definition of sea trout in English:
1British A European brown trout of a salmon-like migratory race. Also called salmon trout.
- Salmo trutta trutta, family Salmonidae
- Forget stockies or naturally reproducing brown trout, saltwater sea trout are a race apart.
- In the past the name game fishing was given to describe the taking of trout, sea trout and salmon by fly fishing.
- On the Moy Estuary very high tides restricted sea trout fishing at the end of the week.
2 [with modifier] North American A trout-like marine fish of the drum family occurring in the western Atlantic.
- Genus Cynoscion, family Sciaenidae: several species, including the weakfish
- But environmentalists claim pollution from cod farms could endanger already depleted Atlantic salmon and sea trout populations.
- Boats come in about 9 A.M. and sell fresh red snapper, sea trout, sculpin, and mackerel.
- Fish of this size have been caught by anglers targeting the chub and also by anglers fishing for the sea trout.
Definition of sea trout in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.