- A woman who sews, especially one who earns her living by sewing.More example sentences
- A cloud of lint hovered over the seamstresses and their sewing machines like a multicolored fog over a river.
- Workers in this informal sector include tinsmiths, seamstresses, bakers, carpenters, and peddlers.
- The tailors or seamstresses would literally stitch new clothes onto people around Easter-time and that was it for the year.
late 16th century: from archaic seamster, sempster 'tailor, seamstress' + -ess1.
More definitions of seamstressDefinition of seamstress in:
- The US English dictionary