Definition of seasonal in English:
- Better still, take advantage of special offers on fresh seasonal fruit and vegetables instead.
- We shall be looking to rediscover that seasonal, characteristic resolution.
- Fresh seasonal food, simply yet lovingly prepared, is all that matters.
- Enso should not be used as a shortcut to a long term seasonal rainfall forecast.
- The formation of low and high vessel density wood coincided with the seasonal rainfall distribution.
- They help reduce labour costs and provide needed flexibility when there are seasonal fluctuations.
People sometimes confuse the words seasonal and seasonable. Seasonal means ‘relating to a particular season’ ( seasonal fresh fruit) or ‘fluctuating or restricted according to the season’ ( there are companies whose markets are seasonal), while seasonable is a rarer word which means ‘usual for or appropriate to a particular season’ ( in December the magazine carried cartoons and songs, including a seasonable Christmas carol).
- Example sentences
- He is hoping to expand on research completed for his PhD, which focussed on seasonality and its impacts on people's moods.
- For many animals seasonality is common, as shown in winter hibernation, and olfaction plays an important role.
- One regrettable aspect of modern living is the loss of seasonality.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.